Kade and I woke up at 6 to take the turkey out of the fridge, then at 7 to start the prep for the big day. We were so tired, and by the end of the day we were both thinking, No wonder people get together with their families - when its just you, you have to cook it AND clean it all by yourself.
It went swimmingly, actually! I was nervous that at least three dishes would be burned or overdone or soggy or dry or what have you - but I think it was divine intervention that nothing went wrong. I think I might have had a meltdown if we had to be thousands of miles away from everything without anything to eat.
A family in our ward invited us to spend the day with them and their extended family - so it's not like we were all alone because we had to be. Honestly, we just wanted to experience a nice, quiet Thanksgiving on our own. It was great - we wore our sweats and I put my hair up in a ponytail because there was no one we had to impress! We really love and miss our family, but you know how crazy the holidays get when there are four separate families that all want to see you. It was nice not to have to be all over the place, but again, that doesn't mean we don't miss our families so NO ONE BE OFFENDED BY THAT.
(Jones found out he could spin his fork - so that's what he did instead of eating)
(I hope you enjoyed our thought-provoking conversation about gallon-sized bags)
So as of right now we have enough turkey to last us through till next Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, we don't have room in our fridge for anything else, so I guess exciting variations of turkey recipes are in our future! Also unfortunately, Jonah seems to be immune to the sleep-inducing effects of turkey - because yesterday after dinner he jumped up and down in his crib yelling "mom, color! mom, color!" instead of taking a nap. You'll never see Jones without a crayon in his hand these days. He also found a small pad of paper in one of our board game boxes that he carries around making notes on with said crayon or a pencil, and we have since started calling him "Scoop." Kade says, "Hey Scoop! Whats the news?" and Jonah answers him with "No scoop, I'm Jonah!"I can't believe I haven't blogged a single word about Baby #2! It feels so unfair. Jonah had his own separate blog (remember that?) and now I laugh at every "first time mom" meme I see online, because it's true. With Jonah I was so super cautious of what I ate - I microwaved my lunch meat once because it was the only thing in the house to eat but according to some online forum you're not supposed to eat lunch meat while pregnant (in retrospect, I should have baked it in the oven and checked the temp with a meat thermometer until it reached 160 degrees because you might as well get an abdominal x-ray if you're going to stand in the same room with a running microwave while pregnant. You know.)
Anyway, baby 2 is doing very well. And word to all my scholars-wife mom-friends: I found a doctor! They were super nice and I was able to get in really quickly. And the place isn't even a dump, it's really nice! I even told the nurse how nervous I was about finding a doctor and she looked at me like I was crazy. She said she had never heard of women being rejected for being out of state or having seen another dr. previously. So I guess I just stumbled onto the right clinic :)
But one thing that bugs about this pregnancy that never happened with Jonah: if I wear my contacts I get terrible, terrible headaches. But once I switch to glasses they disappear like magic. This is fine and everything, except I don't love wearing my glasses. Whenever I complain about wearing them people are always telling me I should wear them because they look cute on me. Well, thanks - but I'm not complaining about the cuteness! They are always getting in the way. I break out in a minimal sweat and they slip down my nose. They get smashed to the side if I ever want to watch TV laying down. They make everything look smaller and they are a slightly older prescription so I can't see as far away. It's fine, I'll wear them for 5 more months, but I just won't be ecstatic about it.
So that's what's been up! I am going to go take a nap because baby 2 is draining the life out of me. For some reason I stay up all night and am exhausted all day. I googled it once, something about increased hormones can sometimes make you switch your days and nights. I am so tired of it though - pun intended!
2 comments:
You should totally order a pair from zennioptical.com with your new perscription. Christmas present! The pair I wear day to day were $12.95. I looooove them.
Congratulations on baby #2!
Post a Comment