| This building's name is "100 N Main St" which is poetic enough, but it's also where Wells Fargo sets up shop |
I wish I kept a better journal. A lot of times I don't blog about things because I would rather them be written in the privacy of a journal, but then I forget and my thoughts just float away, forgotten. So, until I get back into a good journaling habit, I'm going to tell myself I'm going to blog more. We'll see if it actually stands true.
I have found myself avoiding eye contact with African Americans out of habit. When I was younger, back in Utah, running into an African American was so rare that I always felt like if I looked at them they would think I was staring. Does that make me racist? I hope not - I don't think it would - it shouldn't. It's a terribly stupid habit that I only just now realized I had, and now I'm trying to break it.
I want to say I'm becoming acclimated already! When we first got here I was freezing cold all the time, and we would pile on the blankets at night. Now I wake up sweating and I don't have to wear a jacket when I go outside! Or maybe the weather is just different this week than it was last?
Poor Jonah is getting his molars. And brother, are they taking their sweet time popping through. I just have to keep telling myself that these are the last teeth! Then I'm done!
Today I sat in nursery with Jonah, trying to convince him that this was the same organization he so desperately loved back in Utah. There are even five other boys his age in his class! The nursery leaders are very nice, and another mom sat in with her little boy too. They both looked about my age and I thought that maybe we could all be friends - then they started talking about running.
Hey do you want to come running with me this week? Yeah that sounds fun, how many miles do you usually go? I usually run about 10 miles. Oh, I could probably only go with you for 7. That's great, at least I won't be all alone for an hour and a half.
The only thing going through my mind was "good gravy" and "there goes that friendship." Because runners just seem to gravitate together. Probably so they can talk about their snot rockets and side-of-the-road pukings to people who won't judge them and wonder why the heck they do that to themselves.
Because seriously, why??
You know, running just ONE mile three times a week will keep you just as healthy, combined with a good diet (as all exercise should be).
Sometimes I feel like this running stuff is a fad that will eventually lose its popularity. I was only a kid, but did people run in the 90's? The early 2000's? Did the Color Run, Mud Run, Santa Run, Zombie Run, Undie Run etc... even exist before five years ago?
Hey, I'm not knocking runners. Heaven bless the runners! It's just that running is so popular that I feel like to be one of the "cool kids" I have to run. Well I won't! I'll stand on the sidelines and cheer for you now, and later I'll be the only one with my original knees helping you with your physical therapy.
Well, I didn't mean to say so much about running. It's just that, not running is something I'm very passionate about. It's just a part of me. Not running is like an escape - a mental vacation. I just feel so recharged and ready for anything when I don't run.
Anyway, Jonah keeps screaming that he doesn't want to go to bed, he would rather "get out." So I'mma go take care of that.
2 comments:
I think running has always existed, but back in the 90's they called it "jogging". Running has always been around as a sport, like sprinters and distance runners, but jogging was something people used to do at the park in warm-up suits on a Saturday. I think what has changed is that now we have more amateur runners who like to train for distance events. I agree though that it is probably a fitness fad that will change over time, especially as avid runners of today start to have more joint problems from the high impact nature of running.
That's true, I do remember "jogging." For some reason that sounds more fun than running! Let's start calling it jogging again. Also, let's bring back the neon jump suits!
Post a Comment