5.1.14
Only a Game
I am hereby extending, to anyone interested, a personal invitation to join the Kade and Jessica family in a friendly game of Monopoly. As of last night, I have informed Kade that I will never play Monopoly one-on-one with him again. I am tired of the constant defeat, and the never-ending string of losses is making me question my existence and some life decisions I had otherwise thought I was fine with.
It's getting depressing.
New Years Eve actually slipped away from me unexpectedly, as even the handful of fireworks outside our front door could not draw my attention from my mortgaged properties and dwindling bank account. NYE Monopoly has become somewhat of a family tradition in our small house, and naively I thought I could stand a chance at winning this year. My strategy was simple: just don't want it. pretend not to care.
Well, when I lost it turned out that I did care and all that pretending was for naught. I guess you could say I am somewhat of a sore loser.
However, I felt bad about my sore loserness and suggested a friendly rematch the next day. Win or lose, I was not going to be a baby about an insignificant little board game.
I lost, and the bitterness returned.
So the next day we played again, and due to sheer willpower I actually found myself winning. It was a glorious ten minutes - but I made a fatal error. I started to feel winners guilt. I started to cringe for Kade when he landed on my hotel properties, and eventually let that dissuade me from building houses that should have been built. Long story short, he came back and crushed me mercilessly.
If there is anything to be learned from this New Years story, it is that I am empathetic to a fault and Kade should have gone into real estate. Right?
Or is it that I am a sore loser, and Kade does really, really well at a select few board games? (He doesn't like to play Phase Ten with me for the same reason)
Perhaps it would be best if you drew your own conclusions as to what the moral of this sort of dumb story is.
And without further adieu and no real segway, our goals for 2014:
- Get Jonah potty-trained
- Get through the first year of PT school
- Find a new family game before the next New Years Eve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment