21.3.14

Spring Break Part 1: Mayberry

 I'd like to think there are still a few of you who check up on my blog without the help of Facebook links - and so, because I've already posted all of these pictures to Facebook, I decided to still write a blog post about our spring break adventures.

First stop, Mount Airy, a.k.a. Mayberry! Home of Andy Griffith himself.
Ever since we found out we were going to move to NC, Kade's dad has been beside himself with anxiety to visit ol' Mayberry. Yet, he somehow forgot his fishin' pole and we didn't make it to any fishin' holes - mostly because that scene was shot at a lake in southern California. Yeah, cheap.

But despite most of the "old relics" being fake (on account of most of the TV series was shot in Hollywood), and mostly despite this super creepy cutout:


just look at how excited Curtis is to finally be here:





Fun Fact: It was because of the photo above that my sister and I began a discussion about people's hairstyles, and how sometimes there's just one single hairstyle that makes you look the best - and how this one was not working for me. I have too much white on my face. As in a serious lack of eyebrows and stubby eyelashes. I gave myself bangs that very night. 





After the Andy Griffith museum (in which we were NOT allowed to take pictures... lame) we walked on over to old main street and wandered around.



We went to Opie's Candy and got ourselves some sweets and a few Cheerwines in glass bottles. At this point I feel it important to note that Jonah had been freaking out for a good thirty or so minutes (he was exhausted) and even a giant yellow lollipop could not console him. This is why there aren't many pictures of the rest of our Mayberry adventure - including the red velvet cupcake that was *LITERALLY* the size of my face that I ate without sharing. Hey... pregnant. No shame there.



Hey, check it out - Jonah being cute for a minute. 


 We were a little bit disappointed that there wasn't an old courthouse we could walk through. Then, lo and behold, as we were driving around we found one!












It was pretty cool, because it was empty. You could walk around and look at whatever you wanted without some tour guide telling you all the stuff you already knew. Well, stuff that Curtis already knew - which was everything about the Andy Griffith Show. And I thought I was a fan...








Then we found this gem out back ^
Which was ironic since Curtis had just barely been talking about the Darlin's. He asked if I remembered them and I shamefully had to shake my head no. Brooke remembered though! Probably due to her lifetime of watching old movies and TV shows into the night long after everyone else had gone to sleep.




Thankfully, the weather all day was gorgeous. It was a great day to wander around and check out some history, and also some staged history. And Curtis is the happiest he's ever been.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...