13.7.17

Going For It!

For a while there I was pretty good at writing. You know, in college where that's all that was required of me for almost four years. But I want to get good at it again, because I'm facing the music. I've tried to ignore it, tried to push it away, tried to make fun of it enough that it shamefully backed out of my life, but heck. I'm a writer.

I was looking through some old files on my hard drive and I came across a folder full of stuff I had written as a 9-14 yr old. Stories, poems, letters... all of it undeniably points toward my being born a writer. So, I'm done putting up a fruitless fight against it. I've decided I'm gonna make like an iguana in a sea of blue-footed boobies and JUST GO FOR IT!**


But I will leave you with one letter I wrote to my cousin, Paige, who was my soul-sister two states away, when I was just over 13 years old:



My dearest cousin,
Please forgive me for not letting you have a chance to respond to my most recent letter, yet I feel that you will not mind when I tell you what has been happening.
I have been accepted at Harvard! How excited I must have looked the very day I got the letter, and I am just as excited now, though I will miss you dearly, and will not be able to see you when next you come down. I will be dreadfully lonely, and desperately wish you, my dearest friend, were coming with me, for then I would have someone to talk to, and not be so lonely for those four long tedious years ahead of me.
I am desperately sorry, but I will have vacations now and again, and will see you then.
I do hope you will get this letter, for I want so bad for you to be the very first one to know, Paige.

Love,
Your ever faithful friend,

Jessica Leigh

P.S. I do love this font, don’t you? I think it looks very becoming.




Did you read that? (laughing emoji) I have others. You tell me my life's purpose was not to write!


Also, how is it that this is what I looked like and writing fictional letters to my cousin is what I spent my time doing at 13 years old, while today's 13yo's look like mini-Kardashians and have huge instagram followings?? The 2000's sure were simpler times.



**This video, while hilarious, does have some swears. Though not as many as the Honey Badger one, but be aware just the same.

1 comment:

Robby Spratt said...

That letter sounds exactly like something out of Anne of Green Gables!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...