4.11.10

Lewis Afred Storey


This past weekend, just shy of his 98th birthday, he passed away.


IMG_8299-2


(That's me!)
Here are some handsome photos of him.


mom & grandpa


Capri's were not a "thing" back then, my mom explained to my sister and I as we gawked at the fragility and lengthiness of her legs.


IMG_8301-2



And its a darn good thing her cross-eye syndrome didn't carry over into her toddler years!
Look how sweet grandma and grandpa are to be tending her... (just kidding mom!)


IMG_8185-3


He was a pretty incredible guy.
After listening to the talks I wished I would have known him better.


IMG_8198-3


According to my grandma (his daughter) all the memories with him were full of "rememberancefullness,"
and so was the funeral.

Especially all the funny stories she told about him.


IMG_8200-3


Like the time he traded his car in for a Ford truck to carry his 4-wheeler around--
It didn't fit in his car as well as his Cadillac (I think it was a Cadillac), 
the back end stuck out a little too far. 


IMG_8205-3


And being the born fixer-upper that he was, he made a little project out of his garage.
He started chiseling away at the cinder-block that was the back wall.
Soon enough there was a hole big enough for the front end of his truck to nestle in,
except it scratched the top of his hood a little bit--
so...

IMG_8204-3


...he rented a jack-hammer and dug out little divots into the floor for his front tires to roll into,
and his truck fit in the garage perfectly :)
(I kinda want to see that garage!)


IMG_8238-3


I think my most fond memories of him are of all the times I would go over to his house and ask for some black licorice jelly beans--because he always had them, and he would always give them to me.


IMG_8233-3


Which, having now an understanding of the relationship between the elderly and their black licorice treats--was most likely a supreme sacrifice. 
What a gem of a guy.


IMG_8226-3


Once, my grandma (his daughter) was on a 4-wheeling ride with him in the mountains...somewhere.
He was about 96


IMG_8223-3


Someone asked her if she was worried at all, she said
"Well, he's 96 years old and hasn't been in any major wrecks--So I had myself a good time!"


IMG_8222-3


His dear wife even sang at his funeral.
Which is particularly incredible, since she had passed long before him.


IMG_8212-3


They played a recording of her singing (and I think even playing the organ to) "He that Hath Clean Hands and A Pure Heart"
She was a good singer.


IMG_8207-3

It was probably the best funeral I've been to in a long time.
It wasn't as sad as some,
because he had lived a full and eventful life.

IMG_8240-3


It was really a good day.
We love ya grandpa!


1 comment:

JMay said...

This made my heart hurt a bit :-( I miss my Grandpa so much. I'm sorry for your loss but he's in a better place & now you someone watching over you up there ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...