30.7.12

A Need for Sleep

Kade, despite his most infinite wisdom, has spewed out some real gems lately. I think it's the recent stress of parenting and the lack of sleep that accompanies it, but maybe he really is just crazy.
For example, a few months ago I made bread from a recipe a friend gave me. Real honey wheat and oat. As good for you as Neil Diamond on a toasty July night. He ate a slice and exclaimed, after denying a second,
"Sorry, it's delicious, but it's thick as... can be."

I don't know if anyone else would think that was as funny as I did, but I've been teasing him about it ever since. Then, to my delight (and his embarrassment), he did it again a few days ago. After breakfast he leaned back and said,
"I am as full as... the fullest thing."

I nearly choked on my waffles.

The thing about Kade is, he's usually brilliant. I guess that's why it's so funny to hear him stumble across his similes. It makes me feel less dumb for the dumb things I've done lately.

Like the strange phenomenon of leaping from your bed in the middle of the night because you had a dream your baby was sitting on top of the laundry hamper and was about to fall. Or last night, when Kade rolled over and I panicked and started pushing him away because I was convinced he had rolled on top of Jonah (who has never slept a single night in our bed). Or the other time Kade rolled over and I clutched onto his arm to save him from what I thought was him falling off the bed (he is a very experienced sleeper).

I've never done anything in my sleep before, and Kade is not usually lacking in wit--I mean, to say that Kade is just crazy would have to mean I am also just crazy...

So it's only fair that Jonah be blamed for all this, right?


1 comment:

Jasmine said...

Haha. I do the bed thing almost every night. I end up jumping out of bed onto the floor to catch her... they are turning us into crazy people! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...