8.9.14

This Post Isn't Really About Anything

I hate how much I have to depend on Google Maps out here. Usually it's pretty reliable, but the one day that you really need it to get you to the right place and fast, it takes you to an "Ace Hardware" and the end of a dead end road in a rural residential neighborhood. And now that lady with the craigslist chairs has to wait even longer for you and will probably just give them to the next person she sees.

But I made it! I got my chairs. And I love them. And now we can have people over to hang out cause we have places to put them!


This is a real time picture. Millie is mid-roll, and my house is a mess. The door is open because this is the first day in what seems like months that it hasn't been swelteringly humid and hot. In fact, it's a beautiful fallish day outside - slightly drizzly and 68 degrees. Aaaaaaaaahhhh. And though I wore a long shirt and jeggings today, I must ask all the fashionistas out there: WHEN IS IT OFFICIALLY BOOT WEATHER? Because I'm so excited to have Kade dig through all the junk in our shed for the tub I put my winter stuff in! He'll love it. He always likes doing stuff like that for me. He tells me all the time how adorable I am when I scream at crickets. He says that he would die a thousand deaths before he would even let my fragile being near all those cobwebs and freakish east coast spiders. He is so thoughtful and selfless. 


Yesterday I sent this pic to my mom and sister asking if it was time to retire all the elderly lady skirts I bought when I was into that sort of thing. Actually, I think my exact words were, "If I wore this would everyone laugh at me and call me an old gooseberry?" which is an inside joke with my family - every time PBS ran an Anne of Green Gables marathon my entire family parked right in front of the TV for five solid hours. So if you know that reference, kudos! You were raised right!

Anyway, I ended up going with something safe and boring like a mint green maxi skirt, white shirt and necklace. Not to say it wasn't cute - it's in style, so it has to be cute. It's just... safe. and boring. 

And then I realized that I don't really know what "my style" is anymore. Guys, this is a serious catastrophe because I was voted Trendsetter in high school and I hold that title near and dear to my heart because I place a lot of weight on high school memories and stuff. No, no it's not a catastrophe. 

Later, at church, Millie was throwing a fit during sacrament meeting so I was pacing the halls helping her calm down, and I wandered out the door and across the parking lot to this little place in a grove of trees with two benches. I'm pretty sure they belonged to the Baptist church next door but I sat down anyway; because it's possible that our two churches have in common a desire to connect with God and feel a quiet, spiritual peace, and those black cast iron benches looked serene in the strongest way. 
As I sat down words flew in and out of my head with the gentle breeze. The only way to capture them would have been to write them down, and all good writers know to keep a small notebook handy at all times - but I'm not at that point in my life yet. But sitting there letting the words and phases pile up and fizzle out reminded me that sure, even though I could've gone into any other field and made more money, I chose creative writing because I love it.

I'm not fantastic at it, and sometimes (almost always) I let my inner grammar natzi fall asleep, but gosh, I like to write. I guess that's why I keep this dumb old blog around. And sitting there on that bench made me realize that even though I'm not writing anything to be proud of right now, I'll pick it back up someday. Because right now my priorities lie with the babe on my hip and the small hand in my own.


Are you so sick of iPhone pictures? When you know I have a perfectly good DSLR sitting on my desk?
I'll break it out more often, I promise.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha old gooseberry... totally remember that. And I think that skirt looks really cute! I love the high waisted ones and that they're in style. I'm definitely not sick of your iphone pics. those little babes are so cute. if only i could write as creatively as you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...