2.9.14

Week 1

I know this blog has become kind of lame and a little too serious, but back when it was cool I could post a lot more often. Now I've got all these (two) kids and there is just no time for anything. Right now Millie is asleep and Jonah is engrossed in Dinosaur Train and I should be upstairs making my bed, but how much fun is that? Especially when I have to do it everyday (sort of). The thing is, I enjoy blogging. So it's too bad I don't do it very often anymore. Almost every day something happens and I think "that would be a great blog post!" But it never happens. It doesn't even make a great journal entry because I'm suddenly a terrible journaler despite all my best intentions. Ah, how life gets in the way. One day you're an incredible person (or so you think) doing everything you should and the next moment you realize just how much you've let slip.

That's a blog post for another day though - seriously, I'mma write that one.

And is it just the South or have I been talking ghetto-slang a lot lately? You don't know, because you're not around me every day, but I have been.

So there's something I've been thinking about doing, but I don't know if it would seem egotistical of me. But a while ago there was this blogger I followed who did one self-portrait a week for a year. Now, she was a photographer so I guess she's allowed to do that, but I thought it was kind of cool because she said once that because she was the photographer, she never had any pictures of herself and wanted her future kids to be able to know what she looked like before they were born. Anyway, these self-portraits weren't contrived or posed at all. She just set the camera on a tripod and did what she would normally do in her normal clothes and her normal face - usually without makeup. I thought it was a cool idea and since I'm sort of the photographer in my family, there are barely any pictures of me, too. either? neither? I'm so glad I got an English degree.

Anyway, another thing that revived this idea lately is a picture one of the girls in my ward took of another girl in my ward. In it she just looked so... normal. And when I saw it I thought, "This is the picture her kids are going to think of when they think of their mom."

I want something like that. So, without further adieu, here is my first portrait:


This is me, sitting in front of this very blog post, waiting to publish.

Portrait #1 of 52. Let's see how long I can keep this up. For posterity!


2 comments:

Spratt said...

That's a really cool idea! I think it will be a great thing for your family.
I really appreciate you and my other blogger friends who are so good at writing about normal everyday family stuff. It gives me a lot of good examples of what I hope my own family will be like someday.
Thanks!

Jess said...

Thanks Robby! I try to keep it real around here, because I get bummed out when I come across blogs of people with perfect looks, jobs, style, families, houses, etc... So I appreciate that! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...