Nephi is quoting Isaiah 3, and Isaiah in and of himself is usually mind-blowing, but today's chapter was all about what people will be like in the last days. And while reading it I was like...
Because all of it is totally coming to pass today!
Three things in particular stood out to me.
Vs. 5: And the people shall be oppressed, every one by another, and every one by his neighbor: the child shall behave himself proudly against the ancient, and the base against the honourable.
Tell me that Isaiah did not see all these minimum wage protests, and burger flippers wanting the same pay as other people who have worked their way up to get a good paying job. Tell me he didn't see them shout about how they deserved the same wage for a much less skillful, time-intensive job. Tell me he didn't know about all these kids who would grow up so rebellious against their parents because of their lack of discipline and broken households where the enforcement of home and family rules was put aside so parents could grieve their lost relationships.
Then also in vs. 12: And my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. Oh my people, they who lead thee cause thee to err and destroy the way of they paths.
Our leaders aren't super trustworthy, throughout all the world. The Feminist movement has done a pretty good job at making people think men aren't necessary, and thus they're becoming replaced as the head of household. Children are our oppressors because GUYS. Are you not shocked at how young some of these murderers are today?! What the heck is going on in the world when a 13 year old becomes a cold-blooded killer? How can three teenage boys stand there laughing, watching, and filming a man drown to his death?
And let me talk about feminists, because I had a thought about it while at girl's camp last week. We had a member of the bishopric come up to stay the week with us because that is protocol. And I had the thought, you know, some people might think this is the church saying "oh women can't do anything without men supervising them."
But honestly, the truth is Bro F brought like a whole new dynamic to camp. Even though he mostly sat in his chair off to the side and read his book, letting us girls do our thing - it was nice having him there. It's nice not to have to rely completely on yourselves. Sure, us women are strong and amazing and can do anything we set our minds to, but it doesn't mean that's the way it should be. Take my mom for example, she's been single almost a decade now. She's proven herself, she's taken care of herself. She's a strong independent woman who don't need no man - but she still wants one. Men are good to have around. They just seem to bring balance and peace to a situation, especially if you've got a good one. I don't even know if I'm conveying my feelings accurately, but the moral of the story is, Men were put here on the earth first, they've been around longer than women, and who are we to try to shove them aside? Let them lead! Let them take care of us, it's in their DNA to be providers and protectors. And I'd assume when they don't feel appreciated or needed, they start going a little crazy. So really, feminists, it's kind of our own fault these men are psychos. We've put them into a little cage and they're freaking out trying to escape.
Man, I'm not sure I'm any good putting my thoughts into words. I wish there were a way for me to like, press my hands together with someone else and just transfer feelings so I wouldn't have to mess with words.
I sound crazy!
Next up comes vs. 16: Moreover, the Lord saith: Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched-forth necks and wanton (lustful) eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet--
18: In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments, and cauls, and round tires like the moon;
19: The chains and the bracelets and the mufflers;
20: The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earring;
21: The rings, and the nose jewels;
22: The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins;
23: The glasses, and the fine linen, and hoods, and the veils.
Does this not sound like girls today? Not even all over the world, but right here in Zion? It was funny to me reading this this morning, because just yesterday I was talking to Kade about how much I liked our ward, and I said it was because I feel like the most worldly one there - and I don't even consider myself that worldly. Like, I buy all my stuff from the clearance section at Ross. I wear eyebrows and mascara and chapstick, and that pretty much completes my makeup routine. So I was telling Kade how refreshing it was to be in this ward! Everyone is so humble, and I feel like I have a long way to go toward being as awesome as everyone else in the 5th ward.
But I've actually seen first hand in my life how overly concerning yourself with your appearance can distance you from Heavenly Father and things that are important. It happened to two of my favorite bloggers that I used to follow diligently. They wrote honest and real things about their lives, then when they gained a bigger following people started asking them what they were wearing, and suddenly they turned into "Fashion bloggers" and lost sight of themselves and of their eternal purpose. I've seen it happen to people that I know personally, as well. I think it's nice to take care of yourself and feel good about yourself, but there's a really fine line - a flaxen cord, if you will - that you have to be sure not to cross. It's dangerous territory.
Anyway, those are my thoughts on my scripture reading today. So I guess my takeaway would be to not be haughty, not care so much what I look like, make sure to set a good example to my children and discipline them when necessary, and to just love my fellow men and pray for protection from the ones who've let Satan into their hearts.
And I guess that's just about all any of us can do!


2 comments:
Great post! I agree that the signs of the times are coming true. The one that always surprises me is Isaiah's prophecy that in the last days men shall call evil good, and good evil. You see it all the time where people ridicule pure wonderful things, and praise horrible depravity. It's so strange.
I also agree about the feminist movement. I feel like anything other than pure egalitarianism does a disservice to society. Why can't we treat everyone as equals, give everyone equal opportunities to excel, but also recognize that men and women tend to excel at different things? Men and women compliment each other and there's nothing wrong with that. And if someone breaks from the normal ideals of masculinity or femininity, that's ok too. I just don't get why it is so hard to live and let live these days.
Live and let live! Seriously, it seems so simple. Why can't people do it?!
Post a Comment