...I had the opportunity to see in action all the things I've been learning about this semester.
In FCHD (family, consumer and human development) we have been learning about all the different social theories. One in particular that struck me, was the Social Exchange Theory.
Basically, this says that every person weighs each social encounter they have, and they reciprocate based on their evaluation of the relationship or encounter.
For example:
Sally whines a lot and is very negative. Her "best friend" Jane tires of listening to her whine and never say anything good about anything, and cares about Sally's life less and less. So, she decides to make a new friend and not really ever talk to Sally again.
Jane's new friend is up-beat and fun and is genuinely interested in what's going on in Jane's life. So Jane reciprocates by being interested in her life, too. Win-Win.
Today I realized that the Social Exchange Theory is why I bought Rachel that scantron. Even though it was a small hassle (turns out everyone waited till right before the test to buy one), Rachel has always been so super nice to me and I knew I would get a huge thank-you from her afterwards.
I did.
Its also why I smooch Kade and tell him how much I love him, because then I come home to clean laundry :)
Its why I groan when that frumpy girl is my bank teller, and rejoice when its anyone else but her.
And why I decided I will never, ever, ever go to Wal-mart to get my oil changed ever, ever again.
*walk into walmart*
ASSOCIATE: keeps her head down low, types vigorously on her computer.
ME: not-so-subtly clears throat.
ASSOCIATE (who we will henceforth abreviate as ASS.): looks up, annoyed. In a high pitched whine says: Yes?
ME: Hi, I need to get my oil changed
ASS: looks out window. Its a twenty minute wait.
ME: Um, okay.
ASS: waddles over to computer, holds her hand out. Alright, gimme your keys.
And why Easton and Jayden at Jiffy Lube won my business forever.
*pull up to Jiffy, get out of car, head towards the door*
EASTON: jogs towards car, smiles. Hey how's it going?
ME: nervous. Hi, I just need an oil change--I didn't know where to park, sorry."
EASTON: still smiling. Oh that's fine, no problem. Hey, let me grab your keys from you and I'll pull it around and we'll get right to work.
ME: at ease and pleasantly surprised. Oh, ok, thanks! walks toward the back entrance.
EASTON: Oh we locked that door because of the wind, but here, let me open it for you. searches his ring of fifteen keys for the right one. There you go!
*inside talking with cashier*
ME: Do you guys do motor mounts at all?
JAYDEN: chuckles. No, we don't. But I did notice you needed them!
ME: smiles and laughs. Yeah, I do. Do you recommend anywhere?
JAYDEN: Oh yeah, no prob. I always go to this one--they won't screw you over at all.
Wow, check that out. Man they have good service, compared to Walmart, anyway.
So I jump in my car when its all finished, and guess what? THEY VACUUMED! It said it was included, but they actually did it, and did a great job!
(When walmart says vacuuming your car is included in an oil change, they really mean better make sure you don't even leave one tiny little textbook on the floor or we'll say we cant due to personal items--while Jiffy Lube picked up and placed on the seats: a jacket, a bag of starburst, gym shorts, a notebook, various receipts, an empty gatorade bottle, a package of styrofoam cups and three pens before they vacuumed. Gosh, how fantastic.)
Social Exchange Theory folks,
think about it.
2 comments:
What a great thought. I love it Jess!
Just another reason for me to continue in my hatred for Wal*Mart. If you go to Jiffy Lube before like 9 or 10 (can't remember the exact hour), you get an early bird discount:) Love the Jiffy.
Post a Comment