So I've been reading Jacob 5 lately - and I thought I'd read it piecemeal because it's a pretty big chapter that is FULL of stuff. Today I read verses 28-69.
One thing that stood out to me in particular was vs. 65-66. Where the Lord of the vineyard is telling His servants not to cut away the bad branches too quickly, lest the root is too strong for the good branches, causing them to whither and die.
Of course this is symbolism of the last days (these days) and so I was wondering what the root represented. Because wouldn't it be great if evil was swept off the earth right now, instantly? I feel like that would be a good thing, if you were a good person. But then I started to think about that in real terms. If I woke up tomorrow and every wicked person had been destroyed... where would we even go from there? SO many people would be gone. So maybe the bad branches are given some more time because the Lord is waiting to see if they'll repent and grow into good branches.
But then again, what's the root?
After some pondering, I came to the conclusion that the root might represent the gospel. Because the root would be too strong for the good branches if the bad branches were removed all at once - maybe that's symbolic of the gospel being brought down to the earth in its absolute, unadulterated fullness once the wicked are gone. Because God cannot dwell among wickedness - if there was no wickedness, then the earth would be able to host the fullness of the gospel. But are we, even as good as we think we are, ready to handle that?
What if you, as good as you might be right now, were suddenly face to face with God, Christ and numberless concourses of angels, including every past prophet, apostle, and disciple. Even if you live a good life and try to be honest, would you feel worthy to be in their presence? Or would you maybe cower away because of your unworthiness? Maybe you would look at all these heavenly beings and think, "there is no way I'm getting to that level" and whither away in your testimony, and basically give up?
So maybe that's what it means by the root being too strong for the good branches, causing them to whither and die.
In vs. 66 it says "clear away the bad according as the good shall grow, that the root and the top my be equal in strength, until the good shall overcome the bad, and the bad be hewn down and cast into the fire."
Isn't it interesting that not only do the scriptures testify of Christ, but they all seem to testify of the principle of "line upon line, precept upon precept?" If the good continue in their learning, and grow to receive greater knowledge, the good will be equal to the root, and then the bad can be cast away.
And it's also interesting to note that this is a prophecy - this WILL happen. So when you're looking at the world today and thinking about how wicked things will become, the thing you're missing is that the more righteous the good are becoming at the same time.
And don't we see this today? Look at the natural disasters that happen, they bring so much good out of the people. Like Hurricane Harvey. So many people lost so many of their worldly possessions. And maybe on any other regular day they would never share those possessions with another because "they're entitled" or "they should be smarter with their money" or "they're lazy." Yet so many people are sharing their time, talents, food, shelter, boats, etc... with absolutely no judgement as to whether the person "deserves" it or not.
Disasters are a refiner's fire. People who have lived through them will have those memories forever, and the feelings burned into their hearts. I'd bet they go forward in their life with a knowledge that possessions are just possessions. That real happiness comes from helping their fellow man. And even when they return to a day when they have so much and are greatly blessed, I think they will probably look at the world differently and be more willing to share with those who have less. Don't you think?
So eventually - and this may very well come hand-in-hand with disaster - "the good shall overcome the bad" and when our hearts are ready for Christ to return, the root will be a blessing to us, nourishing us instead of causing us to whither and die.
The take-away for me, is that no matter how discouraged I get with the wickedness of the world, I will remember that the thing I cannot see - that the media will not report - is the goodness growing right alongside the wickedness. And that one day, good will overpower evil, and the evil will be hewn down.
We just have to continue to draw nourishment and strength from the root, and let the Master of the Vineyard and His Servants do their work.
No comments:
Post a Comment