18.1.11

Post Poetica



So I'm sitting in the library, eating my cranberry almond granola (courtesy of the Harv), trying to get all poetic and stuff, because sometime in the next hour I'm going to have to bring a poem to class.

I took a facebook poll yesterday, of possible topics, and the results were:
College life
Married life
What is in my heart
Lindsac
A story
And a yellow sock

Geesh. I am more stumped now than ever!

You see, my problem with modern poetry is that it does not necessarily need to rhyme, or have any kind of viable form... which I suppose (to the poetic layman!) would make it easy--

I could write a poem about the girl across the room, and her passionate interaction with her cucumber lettuce sandwich. (oooh... as I wrote that, the street quartet began to play softly in the background--a hint, my cue, a sign from the heavens that this was meant to be written, by me, for the people)



Crunch, nlap, nlap. Detour from decorum,
Tonguing the mayo from painted fingers
crunch
     crunch
           crunch
onomatopoeia singing with the strings
of cellos on the square--
a pop of carbonated black,
sizzling past mouth and lips and mouth
the brazen love scene, the melodramatic symphony,
the draft from the window wisps through black hair
      
      equivocal epiphany.




Actually, you know what? That'll work just fine for my weekly submission.

Thanks to all who participated in the poll!
And JSYK... topic ideas for next week's poem are accepted effective immediately :)

2 comments:

Melanee said...

hi doll. You make me SO happy!!!! Oh oh oh!! Why did I miss the poll? I love love love this. Everyday moments and the senses. That's what poetry is about. nlap. tonguing the mayo. brazen love scene. I felt I was there.

xoxoxo mi amiga poetess Jess :)

Anonymous said...

How about your next weeks subject be Tennessee?

-Kenneth

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...