31.10.11

Happy Halloween!


Let me confess to you that Halloween and I have a very complicated love/hate relationship. I love carving pumpkins, I love costumes, I love treats. I even like a few tricks.

BUT.

I don't love scary, I don't love gory. I don't love horror movies and I don't love zombies, vampires, and any other monster-type characters. I don't love ghosts, I don't love feeling like my house is haunted. I don't love haunted forests, trails, or houses. I especially don't love haunted corn-mazes. I don't love the combination of terror and stressing about how to make your way out of that stuff.

This is all much to Kade's dismay, because he LOVES halloween. Like, loves. He loves anything that'll give his spine a tingle. Lately he's been watching Walking Dead in our room, by himself, in the dark while I shower.

I won't watch it with him.

The other night I was feeling super generous, so I said to Kade, "Let's watch ourselves a scary movie, shall we?"

In disbelief, he agreed, and then proceeded to mock me mercilessly when I pulled up Netflix and typed in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. We were about five minutes into what I considered a very appropriate Halloween flick, when I couldn't take his snickering. We switched to a classic, a Vincent Price, a very thoroughly terrifying House on Haunted Hill.



This is about my level of scary. I plugged my ears during some parts, and had to look away from the super gory (NOT cheesy) decapitated head.


Other than that, I thought I did pretty good. And really, the only reason I was OK with watching this movie was because I had seen it before--I knew what was coming, and also, knew I had lived through it once.

Plus, Kade and I couldn't help saying "Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice" every time Vincent appeared on camera, which helped alleviate the scary-factor.

Any S-street fans old enough to remember this guy?


Anywaysssss... Basically a fun, friend-filled Halloween party Saturday night was the extent of our Halloween celebrations this season. Costumes were a must, and Kade charged me with thinking up something funny and creative for us to dress as.

And so naturally, this is what I came up with:


Mr. Robert Ross himself, and his happy little landscape(ish) painting.

(also, I am aware that a couple of those pictures are hanging sideways... its still a work in progress)

We were so cute. We were so creative. We were so PBS. And when we arrived at the party...
we were one of TWO couples dressed as Bob and a painting!
Can you believe it?

And guys, it wasn't some huge extravaganza either, we were one of six couples!

It was pretty funny actually. Funnier still, when it was time to bust out the Pictionary, we found out that Bob Ross #2 is actually an artist, he paints and things, and Kade--well, for starters he is colorblind.


Kade's interpretation of "Scarecrow"


Kade's interpretation of "Skeleton"


Kade's interpretation of "Headless Horseman"



Ok fine, yes those are all the same picture. But basically, that's the gist of it. When he drew a headless horseman, to emphasise the fact that it didn't have a head, he drew a circle around the headless part... which looked like a head. haha :)


And now, our little Pumpkin Family!




Look at Jr.'s cute little binky :)
Ain't it just adorable?


May the rest of your Halloween holdiay be filled with spooky but good-intending fun! I know our plans for tonight consist of some kind of movie, some Twix bars, and maybe a handful of trick-or-treaters.
Oh, And beware of any blind housekeepers on rollerblades--




3 comments:

Spratt said...

I am seriously amazed that someone else went as Bob Ross and a painting! That is a brilliant costume idea! You guys have so much fun.

Zane and Cami said...

I completely agree with you about the whole scary part of Halloween. It's awful. Yes, totally remember that dude from sesame street! And I have a secret confession-don't worry that me and my brother would totally watch Bob Ross more than probably any other child. Odd-but I use to LOVE watching it-it was always so cool to me to see how he started with a blank canvas, and in a matter of 30 minutes he had an awesome painting!

Kade & Jess said...

Robby -- I know, right? What are the odds of that happening!
Cami -- my whole familiy grew up on strictly PBS, Bob Ross was definitely a family favorite! I always thought it was cool what he could do in thirty minutes too! He makes it look so easy...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...